Considered home to one of the best croissants in the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD (according to people who write about such things), Lune Croissanterie was a real good draw card when my family was deciding where to meet for Christmas.
We considered Argentina and Hawaii and LA but all those places had one thing in common: no dependable, quality, best-in-the-world type of croissants. So, Melbourne won. Melbourne always wins!
Thanks, Lune. We’ll see you at The Lune Lab and every other (we’re not that crazy) day after starting December 22nd.
119 Rose St, Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9419 2320
Karaoke is one of my favourite things in the entire world. I do not sing well but I commit to my performance and that’s what’s important.
As a young adult living in New York City, I started karaoke-ing in public rooms. You know the ones where the bar turns into the stage and strangers watch as they sing along. This type of karaoke was tough for me because I only ever participated following one-too-many-beers beers and a couple of red headed sluts.
As a grown-up adult living in Melbourne, I was introduced to private room karaoke. For fancy celebrations, like my bachelorette party, we’d book in at Fitzroy’s Rice Queen. For more common occasions and a dingy experience, we’d book in at KBox in Melbourne CBD.
Most recently, I karaoked in Hong Kong at Neway Karaoke in Wan Chai. OUR LIVES HAVE BEEN FOREVER CHANGED. I now live in fear that I will never tolerate karaoke at any other venue, in any other city, ever again. The caliber of Neway’s overall offerings vs the price paid was incredible and I will never forget it as long as I live.
Below are only a few reasons why our karaoke date night was the best:
- There was a bathroom INSIDE our private room.
- We were given a complimentary basket of snacks.
- Said basket was refilled without us even asking.
- Singers can order drinks/food through an iPad that actually worked.
- said drinks were delivered within 5 minutes of ordering.
- The staff was incredibly helpful, encouraging and patient.
- Lasers, neon lights and smoke machines were blazing all night.
- They had a SKIP (a song) button and it worked a charm.
- Neway is family friendly. We left at 1am – a family of six (youngest was four) left at the same time.
- Once you have a room you can extend hourly and as many times as you like.
- Our room was bigger than our bedroom and there was only two of us.
- No one made fun of the weird slightly tipsy married couple karaoke-ing in I <3 HK shirts. At least not to our faces.
It’s Neway or the highway, baby.
Your petrol tank is full, your bag is packed and you have snacks on hand; you’re ready to road trip to Rutherglen!
As your three-hour drive from Melbourne finally comes to an end, you’ll turn into Rutherglen’s Main Street and see a heart-warming sign, “Sydney may have a nice harbour but Rutherglen has a great port”! The historic Rutherglen offers so much more than just this: interesting people, excellent produce, delicious food and even better wine.
(Below is just a snack size sample of how to maximise the delicious food options Rutherglen has on offer. Don’t be surprised if you get hooked after your first weekend away and immediately plan your next trip to the region – it happens to the best of us!)
The best type of city, in my confident opinion, is one that offers both a busy urban lifestyle and the opportunity to explore The Great Outdoors (see: Portland, Melbourne, Queenstown, LA). Is that greedy? Yes. Is it true? Also yes. I mean, really, who doesn’t love ending a tough 10k hike with a pumping Happy Hour? No one that’s who. Everybody LOVES it and that’s a (made up) fact.
Enter Hong Kong: a city that offers the biggest balance of both these things with class and ease.